It is that time of year again, time for the pre-season meetings that are planned for April 12-16 2021.

For many years, these meetings were breakfast meetings with three held in the Tully district and they typically went for 3 hours. Since 2020, and the various Covid restrictions that came into place we had to change to a series of smaller meetings with no food involved. We had seven meetings last year and will do the same this year, and if there is the demand, we can run more.

One of the main purpose of these meetings will be to release the 2021 Tully variety guide to the industry. This will be the 5th year this document has been prepared for the local industry and is the culmination of work between the Tully Variety Management group and SRA.

The guide outlines which of the varieties released since 2013 can work best for each Tully sub district and the optimum time of harvest, early, mid or late. This information is based on the local trial work undertaken through the TVMG and once a variety is recommended for commercial planting we track its progress through the seasons to make sure of its commercial reality.

Other aspect of the guide include Pachymetra ratings and a brief planting guide.

This local guide is meant to complement the SRA Wet tropic guide that has a lot more information, especially on pest and diseases. We say the SRA Wet tropics guide provides 90% of the information needed for a grower to make a decision about a new variety and our local guide provides the other 10% but this is a vital 10% as it relates to local conditions.

SRA provide the graphic artist who once again has done a great job setting up the guide in an easy to read format.

Other topics to be discussed at these meetings will be updates from TCPSL covering the latest CAPA report, 2021 seed plots, Single eye setts and nutrient management planning.

All meetings are designed to go to about 1.5 hours with the schedule below:

April 12   1pm El Arish John Gillis Shed

April 13 – 8am Syndicate Tom Harney shed

April 13 – 1pm Euramo – Bryce Henry shed

April 14 – 1pm Lower Tully – Don Colls shed

April 15 – 8am Warrami – Alf Nucifora shed

April 15 – 1pm Riversdale – Merryport shed

April 16 – 8am Kennedy – Megadeen Hamilton road shed

Please contact Greg Shannon for more information or the TCPSL